Friday, June 20, 2008

Taking it all in...

Do you ever concerned or worried that you are missing something? I can remember in college (which was not too long ago) there would be a point in the lecture specifically Dr. Dippolds that I would look up form my lap-top and say "what, wait! where's he going with this?". I had somehow or another completely missed the progression of thought! (I am sure it did not have anything to do with me trying to learn all the cool new features of my MacBook Pro, while I was in class!)

Sad part is that, even though I am out of college and in a PT youth ministry position I still feel like I am missing things! Like just this past wednesday when I knew something felt "off" but could not pin-point what it was! So, 15 minutes later I arrive at the church and begin gettting ready; only to discover I had forgot my sermon notes, lyric hand outs and order of services papers at home!

Even though those are common examples of "missing something" and it seems to happen to many people I am afraid there are times in my life where I "really miss something"; it is not something small or trite like lecture notes (even though there was an exam) or sermon notes! Sometimes I feel like I am missing life!

I ask myself...when was the last time I stopped and just "took it all in"? Whether it is a beautiful city sky line (not sure i will be doing that any time soon, especially seeing that I am out in the woods!) or new growth represented by the changing of the trees from barren brown to luscious green.

Natures important sure, and it certaintly is beautiful, but what about the more important things...like friends? When was the last time I enjoyed the company of great friends? Even more important than friends is family! When was the last time I looked into my wifes eyes and just smiled like a little school boy? (yes, that still happens), when was the last time we really enjoyed each others presence besides sitting in front of the TV (exercising our gluts) or getting some good old fashioned cardiovascular in the...(wait a minute! what is this blog rated?).

More than all of that when was the last time I spent time in the presence of God? I am a Pastor, I am at the church almost every time the doors are open, but at times it can still feel like I am missing something! I think it has a lot to do with my neglect of the Spiritual principles of meditating in the presence of God, allowing His Spirit to interact and rejuvenate my mind, my Spirit, and my body!

Out of the all the little moments that make up a day how many of them am i missing: with my friends, with my family, and with God?

The main catalyst for this blog is the most recent sermon i preached about "this moment" respectively borrowed from Steven Curtis Chapman new album. In one of his songs he talks about the moments we miss with our kids...a few months after the release of his new album one of his little adopted girls (who just happened to be the inspiration for one of his songs) was killed in a tragic car accident.

I have included a link so that you can listen to the song...I encourage you as this song encouraged and reminded me: take it all in: each moment, each minute, each second...for the time is short and we are not guaranteed tomorrow.

No comments:

Resources